Sunday 6 July 2008

Summer Trip

Next Saturday I should be setting off on my longish summer journey. I'll be going to the Lake District in northern England for about a week with my work and then will hopefully take a few days on the Isle of Man as holiday. As well as some observations on these places I'll be reporting back on here about my journeys which will include the rail operators Scotrail, National Express East Coast, Transpennine Express, Virgin, Northern Rail and the Isle of Man Railways. I'll also be taking a ship in the form of the Isle of Man Steam Packet, so plenty of travel feedback for anyone considering using any of these services! My actual journey is for a conference in Keswick. Having never been before I have no idea what it will be like, where I'll be staying or what the work will be like. Nothing like going into the unknown....


Yesterday I found this interesting link to a survey conducted by the Transport Company Stagecoach. In case you are unfamilar with them they are a huge bus company in the UK who also operate some rail franchies and the Megabus (UK and USA) coach operation. Their research found a 10% change in travel habits in the last three years for health and environmental reasons, which is great news. Of those who had previously used the car, 36% had switched to the bus, 30% now walked and 5% change to travel by train. It is interesting that most chose the bus, this could be that buses provide a much higher range of journeys than rail - they really do go everywhere. Or it could be that rail is already very competitive on most commuter routes. Regardless of this, it does point to the public starting to change habbits.

Rail, bus and walking are good for the earth for more reasons that climite change. They save fuel, cause less congestion and noise and emit fewer nasty fumes which are bad for human health too. The other thing of course that we often forget is that they are good for our own health also. Walking is probably one of the best forms of activity there is. An hour in the gym at night is not going to make up for sitting on your bum in the car and office all day. And even if you take the train or bus instead of walking it is unlikely that you'll life outside, or work outside the station. The walk to and from the station or bus stop will do you a lot of good. Its amazing how many people tell me that I am so 'lucky' to be thin. The fact that I'm not glued to a car seat and go to the gym every day seems to have missed them....!

No comments: