Thursday 5 March 2009

BTP at 30th Street Station

The British Transport Police are the railway's own police force keeping travellers safe on their journeys all over Britain. With one of my friends in the force it is one that I naturally have an interest in and a fondness for. 30th Street Station is the former Pennsylvania Railroads impressive Philadelphia Station built in 1933 and now used by Amtrak. I've been there twice on my travels and it instantly became one of my favorite railway stations. It is the 3D definition of style and the photos do not do justice to this masterpiece. So I was interested to hear that the BTP did an exchange with their American Amtrak colleagues and were to be seen patrolling 30th Street. It must have been an unusual sight for the passengers that day! You can see the story and some pictures of the event here.

Well I'm just back from Thurso, another of my favourite stations some 160 miles north of here. I was up north for a careers fair with my job. Perhaps tomorrow I'll upload the pictures and let you see what it was like. Unfortunatly the snow kind of messed up the train windows so I am lacking pictures of the most beautiful sections of the line, but there are some good ones and a surprise in Thurso beach... to be continued.

No comments: