Sunday 31 May 2009

Dining by Train

I'm just back from another work related trip down to Edinburgh. Scotland's capital city is something else, city centre gardens, a castle on a rock dominating the central area and a historic old town (not to mention the historic 'new' town), its got it all. Friday was packed with visitors enjoying the warm summer weather and all the delights Edinburgh has to offer. Unfortunatly I could only watch on as I sweated it out in my shirt and tie on the way to and from my meeting. I couldn't think of a better place to be meeting though...
On the way home I wanted to stop off in Perth and with some expensive Friday train fares decided to take the Citylink bus up instead. It was not at all bad! Plenty of space, a reclining seat, curtains on the windows - a proper coach trip. As for the jounrey time it took ages to get out of Edinburgh and into Perth compared to the train with its own route. However taking a more direct route between the towns meant that we got there in about the same time. I'd try the bus again if the train fares are too expensive. Talking of which I used to be able to get a good value Advance fare on National Express East Coast any time north of Edinburgh (south was always a different matter!) but they are almost gone now. I'll be taking the bus or Scotrail a little more often until they come back down. However from Perth on this occasion I got an open ticket and took the 'Highland Chieftain' HST back up the Highland Mainline. On a beautiful summer's evening with the sun lighting up the lochs and mountains I was able to enjoy dinner with a view. It was one of those train experiences where the destination comes too quickly. For the reasons of good food, excellent friendly train crew, comfort and the most wonderful views anywhere in the UK, an evening trip on the 'Chieftain' north of Perth will remain one of my all time favourite journeys.
Well back home now and plotting how I might get another trip in...

No comments: